Okay, so there are simply some confessions that I have to make!! I am beginning to dread this friggin’ marathon! I haven’t ran since the bridge run and to be honest, I don’t feel bad about it! My boss has been hounding me about getting started.. b/c “13 miles is a long way” she says.. “You can’t just think you’ll finish well”… “you have to be properly trained, Krystal”… “Did you run this morning?”…”When are you going to find the time?”… “Okay, but its going to only get worse the longer you wait”. I AM SO NOT IN THE MOOD TO TAKE THESE QUESTIONS/COMMMENTS… but she’s become an honorary accountability partner. And since she LOVES TO RUN.. she’s an advocate for anyone who’s even remotely interested in the sport!. Yes, running has become the “thing-to-do” these days. Running/fitness/ healthier lifestyles are all awesome trends that are making their way mainstream and to promote a healthier America (with more weight-conscious-Americans), hopefully will be around for a while.
While I fully support being in-shape and as healthy as one can be, I am just too spent to do anything about my own personal agenda for fitness. By the time I start my day.. it seems that I’ve got just enough time to clean up my room (ie: make my bed and put clothes back in the closet), get to work (and drag for 8 hours on someone else’s dime), come home.. stuff my face… do whatever household chores are required for the evening, and then hop back into the bed. Typically any extra time I do have, I’ve dedicated to my volunteerism/Church Activities/spending time with Family, etc. Yes, I’ll admit that I haven’t been making the time to run/workout. (How I often wish that “time” could somehow be MADE!!! The 24 hours I’ve been given each day I awake, seems mere moments that flicker by!!) Sheesh, honestly, I’m tired constantly. And getting up at 4:30 these days, when I know I need 2 more hours of sleep, just hasn’t been all that appealing to me. At least getting up that early has yet to outweigh the fact that the “half” is in October and I’m barely running 3 miles!!! But I digress.. I can’t stress over what I haven’t been working to correct!! Today’s post is about venting! And this is what I’m here to do!
Okay, so just so you know why I’m so slack in my half marathon training, I’d just like to point out a few things that I’ve noticed about myself THIS YEAR!! (you know, since I’ve made my commitment to my bucket list!)
My 6 Discoveries:
1) I hate running! It totally sucks. (but I kinda knew this before I started. OAN: runner’s high is REAL.. but that jones has yet to hit me! Even when I was training consistently 2 years ago and ran at least 5 days/week!) I don’t run for sport. Sorry, Just isn’t me!
2) My priorities have to change. If I don’t have an alternative goal like to lose weight, get abs, feel better… then I don’t just wanna run for the sake of running. It just doesn’t mean that much to me anymore. B/c I’m happy where I am, I don’t have a driving force that’s making me move toward working out everyday. I cringe everytime I tie up my laces… and that leaves me defeated before I even hit the pavement! UGGGHHHHHHH!
3) I need new running music. Seems un-important, but its life-or-death to me if i’m running! It’s how I sike myself out during my running attempts. I figure if I block out everything but the music, I’ll be able to deal and just keep moving! Well, the issue now: My playlist has been the same for the past 3 years and I’m no longer excited to hear any of those tracks. When I run w/ my MP3 player, instead of my jamming out like I intend to, my focus is on random thoughts that distract me from simply running while to the music. As I run.. my mind seems to wander…. Yep, I’m thinking: I’m too bored. Why didn’t I add more rap? OMG: is that my breathing that I’m hearing? How far have I ran today? Wonder how long more should I run? OMG: My feet sound so heavy! How much did I commit to? I’ll never get to 13 mi. Geesh, I hope my heart doesn’t give out…..and on and on the treacherous running steals my joy and I’m all disgruntle. Good music helps drown out the fact that I’m not running b/c I like it, I’m running b/c I have to. (Which totally sucks BTW!)
4) I need to eat better! I don’t have the fuel I need to do daily tasks let alone workout b/c I’ve been filing up with everything I crave: Sweets/Pizza/ Chocolate/Pizza/ Burgers/ Fries/ Pizza/ Pizza/Pizza…. Hard to run anywhere with pepperoni holding your belly hostage! When you eat heavy.. you feel heavy..(not sure if you knew that, but ‘tis so very true!!)
5) When you aren’t running, you don’t really want to talk to other people that are running! (This one’s strictly for my boss who makes sure she gets it in every morning and loves to come to work and announce how amazingly fabulous her workout has been) “C’mon…. for the sake of my very last nerve… can we talk about work? Puhleeeeze!” 🙂 J/K I love the fact that she’s determined to help keep me accountable for what i’ve said–No matter how I tire of these conversations about fitness in which her goals are the only one’s being met!
6) My bed has become enemy #1! It calls my name at least 3 days/week to take mid-day naps and even in the mornings when I’ve slept 5-7 hours it just doesn’t want to let me go! And since my alarm clock is set for 4:30 every morning and I still seem to get up @6:30 instead, I’m gonna go ahead and confess that I hate my alarm clock too!! Daggone snooze button… one day it should stop working– that way I’m forced to endure the maniacal ringing/beeping tones that force me up and out of my bed each day! My tolerance is rather low, but since I control the sound of my alarm each day, I tend to prefer the cease & desist option that I can create by hitting the oh-so-convenient SSNNNOOOOZZZZEEEEEEE!
I’m sure that I have several more things to post, but I have to get up and get moving! I did commit to taking “before” pics to use as a measuring tool if I ever get conditioned to where I’d like to be. So I took the pics this morning. I was supposed to take some nude pictures this year so that I’d be able to get a painting done by a friend of mine, but I don’t want to be painted until I at least have some amazing abs to brag about!
Plus, second to your heart being properly conditioned, they say core strength is the defining area of appropriate health/stability/fitness levels! So I’ve challenged myself to get some abs this year! Actually I have them, they are just covered w/ a layer of fat right now! HA! *** OAN: I hate floor work so blasting away stomach and back fat is rather hard to do when you aren’t working your core muscles. **Yeah, running will blast fat, but it’s hard to target abdominals when you run because most of the work is being done with your LEGS!! (this one’s for my big brother who thinks that running is the end-all, be-all to anyone being in shape!! ) Sorry Dude, but I don’t think you’re 100% correct on that one! I’ll give you some, but not all cool points for the tip though! It’s gonna take some dedicated core work to get the 6-pack that I desire! (a few before pics inserted below!)
Well, since the core talk rounds me out to 7 things that I’ve discovered, I guess I’ll finally get out of bed. Enough typing on the blogspace.. Besides, It’s 7:02am this fine Thursday morning and I’ve gotta be in the car by 7:30 in order to get to work on time. Gosh darn bed.. it knows that I have to shower and dress.. and yet again, it has enticed me to hang out/laydown/ rest a little while longer! Maybe I should start sleeping on the floor so we don’t have to fight every morning…???
Yeah right, that’ll never happen~! Ha! 🙂
Keep smiling folks!!